Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Snow Craft I Course Recap


28 October 2012

by Dr. Laurie Connell

I didn’t need to do the snow craft I course this year since I have had the refresher course in the last 5 years but I thought I’d post some photos from when we did take it back in 2002.

The first photo is our group cutting snow blocks for our protection wall.  The snow in this area of Antarctica is perfect for walls and igloos.

The second photo is of us ready to cook dinner- our wall is up and a big storm is coming in.

Quinsy huts are like igloos but are built from packing snow down on gear and then pulling the gear out – then you dig down and back up for an entrance to keep the colder air out and the air you warm up by body heat in.  They are great places to be in a big storm but take some time to build.

 This is the whole camp out on the Ross Ice Shelf- it was a cold night and very windy but we were comfortable in our Quinsy.


No comments:

Post a Comment