Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cesium Chloride Density Gradients


By: Sarah Turner

I last spoke about our BrdU project here. Once we have incubated the Antarctic fungi DNA with BrdU, we then must seperate out the unlabelled DNA from the BrdU labelled DNA. We accomplish this by ultracentrifugation in a solution of cesium chloride. Ultracentrifugation is like normal centrifugation, only it's much faster and for a lot longer. We usually spin our CsCl density gradients for 48 hours at 48,000 x gravity.

Due to the density differences of BrdU labelled DNA (BrdU labelled DNA is more dense than non-labelled DNA) the two seperate and form two bands, similarly to this:

Source
After 48 hours of ultracentrifugation, we are then able to fraction off the gradient in order to determine where the bands have developed in the tube. Fractionating separates the two bands into new tubes.

After fractionating, we precipitate the DNA out of the CsCl solution so we now have pure BrdU labelled DNA.

Here's a great video that helps to explain a similar application of CsCl density gradients, fractionating, and precipitating.



Also, check out this video for more information on the chemistry of cesium chloride density gradients:


4 comments:

  1. It is good post inform lots of new things to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very pleased to discover this great site. I want to to thank you for ones time just for
    this wonderful read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it and i also have you saved to fav to see new things in your
    website. I though you should know, I bookmarked Blogger: Antarctic Fungi Blog at Dzone so
    my coworkers will read it also. If you don't mind I would also share a tip. Finding superb video marketing can also be fairly challenging. I find it most constructive to speak with a a Probate Lawyers in San Diego. Our crew of Estate Planning Attorney San Diego are right here to help with all your legal requirements.

    My website Top San Diego Estate Planning Lawyers

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friends understand this subject since we are in OC|an OC
    properties.

    Take a look at my homepage; friendly Orange County real estate agent

    ReplyDelete